Monday, February 05, 2007

 

Veggie Pizza: Jalapeno peppers and Olives

Hi there!!! Yes I am alive and breathing here. Before I start with my stories of me not blogging, I want to thank all the bloggers who enquired about me and my apologies for me not replying for the comments, since it was not intentional.

So where was I all these days?

I and my husband took a small vacation to Hawaii, and then I joined for the winter classes. Hawaii trip was breath taking and I felt pretty much at home at because of the tropical weather, sugarcane fields, the tropical rain forest all reminded me of Kerala. It was a seven days trip to Maui and we did one day hop to the Big Island. This winter I took four classes which was a mistake I did :( before I could realize I missed the last day to drop with a full refund- ha ha. I am hardly cooking these days and that’s why I am not blogging. Hope to be back with full swing from April first week.

Coming to the recipe now, I have already made pizza and this one is no different from the previous one except for the toppings. I made this pizza last Sunday while my husband was watching the Super bowl. Here goes the recipe!!!

Ingredients

  • ¾ to 1-cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp quick-rise active dry yeast
  • 1 ½ tsp dried basil leaves or pizza seasoning
  • 1tbsp olive oil or regular oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal
  • ½ cup warm water
  • ½ cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup sliced ripe olives
  • ½ cup Jalapeno peppers chopped
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • Salt to taste

Method

  • Combine ½ cup all- purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, yeast, pizza seasoning or basil leaves and salt. Blend oil with garlic; stir into flour mixture with water. Stir in ¼ cup of all- purpose flour until soft, slightly sticky dough forms, adding remaining ¼ cup all-purpose flour to prevent sticking if necessary. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover with in container or paper towel; let it rest for 10-20 minutes
  • Place oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 400F. Spray 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside. If you have a non- stick pan spray is not needed, corn meal alone is fine.
  • Roll dough into large circle on lightly floured surface. (Too much rolling makes the crust heavy and dense; stretching dough to fit pan is best.
  • Blend tomato sauce with ½ tsp of pizza seasoning or basil leaves in small bowl; spread evenly over crust.
  • Top with Jalapeno peppers, olives, parmesan cheese; sprinkle crushed red pepper on top.

  • Bake 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

Look who is here!!:D Glad to see you back.Pizza look fabulous.I never make it from the scratch but looks like I should!:))

5:13 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite toppings... These have to be on any pizza I order. Hmm don't know about making it. Though.. that does not sound so bad :) thanks and good luck with school. I know the pain of 4 courses.

1:22 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAWAI TRIP!!!!! Lucky girl!!!!

Dilicious Pizza!!!!!!

5:42 PM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmik said...

Hi Priya

Pizza from scratch. That's a nice recipe. Thanks.

5:54 PM   Edit
Blogger KF said...

Nice Pizza,Iwant to make one like this!!

7:28 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the pizza looks so mouth-watering!. I always use store bought crusts but your recipe inspires me to try on my own!!Maybe I will!:-))

4:01 PM   Edit
Blogger Revathi said...

what to hawaii... oh my god u must have had such a ball of time !!

4:50 PM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

i am glad u are back. was wondering what happened. concentrate on ur studies but do try to blog once in awhile. I am going to try ur pizza soon. hawai sounds so exotic. is it true that eveything is too expensive there?

3:54 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya -- happy to hear all's well. Parmesan pizza looks great! Good luck with the winter term :)

5:22 AM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
Glad that u had a great time in Hawaii...Pizza looks awesome...

9:46 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back my freind...awwww the pizza looks so wonderful...I wanna take a bite...~grin~....thanks for sharing

3:27 PM   Edit
Blogger Mrs. K said...

My favorite toppings!! I also add a few pineapple pieces to cool off the heat from the jalapeno.
Good to see you back and all the best with your studies.

7:33 PM   Edit
Blogger Abha said...

awesome recipe....pizza looks great in the snap.

1:41 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hai
send ur hawii photos
leena

2:53 PM   Edit
Blogger Inji Pennu said...

We want Hawai Pictures!
We want Hawai Pictures! :)

7:14 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Pizza looks profesional! Love the toppings too!

7:18 AM   Edit
Blogger jacob said...

nice recipe and lovely pictures. is hawaii really like kerala?

8:07 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hawai!! Lucky you! Where are the pics?
Looks like we are both in the same boat as far as studies go. I am taking 4 courses this sem and I am drowning!!
Pizza looks delicious!

1:46 PM   Edit
Blogger swapna susarla said...

pizza with permesan cheese!!!looks yummy!!!

10:53 AM   Edit
Blogger Pravs said...

Hi, pizza looks delicious. You got good recipes out here.

9:27 AM   Edit
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi
Thanks for this wonderfully baked pizzas. Also thanks for sharing this recipe here.
Try this version of pizza:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/3689-post2.html

10:25 PM   Edit
Blogger Mishmash ! said...

This is my first visit here and u have a nice blog. will come back more often :)

Shn

8:44 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi priya ur pizza looks very yummy.

8:13 AM   Edit
Blogger Sharmi said...

hi priya,
my sis's name is priya. I am not kidding.
thanks for visiting my blog. I am honoured. Hope I will see you soon again.
The pizza looks delicious. I love your kerala recipes.

cheers
sharmi

7:08 PM   Edit
Blogger Malar Gandhi said...

Hai There,

The Pizza photos looks absolutely great. Will visit your site again.

1:54 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Was searching for a good pizza recipe and came to your site.( from Annita's). You have got a great site going!!
Tried out this recipe, it came out ok , but still i faced some issues.
one is my crust did not turn golden brown- i kept on waiting for it to be brown and then my cheese turned brown:-(
i have used a baking sheet( does this needs to be preheated too ?) and done the baking in my microwave. what do you think ?
though these issues were there the pizza base tasted super.
Thanks a lot.. would love to get your inputs...
Regards,Swathy.

10:30 PM   Edit
Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Swathy, thats sad to hear...the baking sheet need not be pre-heated, but the oven has to be pre-heated to 400 degree F- I did it in a pizza pan, and I have tried couple of times...it shouldn't take more than 30 minutues--I did it in the conventional oven, I am not sure about the microwave....was it a microwave oven or it is just the microwave...if you have used just the microwave, the pizza wouldn't trun crispy or to a brown color...sometimes if the base is too thick, it may take time for the crust to trun brown....then too not so long in a oven....may be you should bake in a oven....I donno whether my suggestion helped...thanks for letting me know!!!

1:46 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did it in the convection mode ( my oven reads in Celcius- so i put it at 200 degrees ..
hmm , let me try it again then...
the taste is definitely an inspiration to do it again until i get a perfect pizza.
Thanks Priya....
Swathy.

4:11 AM   Edit
Blogger Sabita Sagi said...

yummy pizza...this is my blog...do visit and leave ur comments..
http://recipe-den.blogspot.com
take care...bubyeee...sabita

2:59 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home