Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

Bhel Puri

I guess its time for me to post some recipes!! This is one of my favorite snacks and took some time to learn this recipe. If you are a creative person you can add stuffs which you like from the pantry, still it would be a perfect snack. Every time I make this recipe I keep adding different ingredients to it and the process never ends. You can add boiled potato, cooked chana (garbanzo beans), roasted peanuts, cucumber, chopped tomato, raw mango, spring onions, carrots, sprouts, any cooked beans like black eye bean, kidney beans, lima beans blah blah and the list goes on and on. So just be creative and add what you like :) Here goes the recipe!!!!

For the bhel

  • 2 cups of puffed rice
  • ½ cup sev
  • ½ cup of papadi’s broken
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 cup boiled chopped potatoes
  • 1/4 cup boiled chana
  • 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
  • salt to taste

Green Chutney

  • 2 cups coriander leaves
  • 1/2 cup mint leaves
  • 5-6 green chilies
  • 1 tbs lime juice
  • Salt to taste

Grind the above items to a fine paste by adding required water

Tamarind Chutney

  • 3/4 cup tamarind water (lemon size tamarind soaked in water)
  • 1/2 cup dates deseeded
  • 3/4 cup jaggery (brown sugar )
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

In a pan add the tamarind water, seedless dates, jaggery, cumin powder, and salt. Bring them to boil and cook for 8- 10 minutes until the mixture reduce to a thick liquid. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool, and grind to a smooth paste.

Method

Mix puffed rice, sev, and broken papadi in a large bowl. Add onions, tomato, cooked chana, boiled potato, add required green and tamarind chutney. Mix well and garnish with sev and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately :)

Notes

  • You can store these chutneys in a container and keep refrigerated.
  • Add ingredients of your choice to the bhel puri.
  • Bombay Bhel puri mix is available in the stores, just buy that and add chutneys and ingredients of your choice.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Lakshmi said...

wow Priya bhel, my mouth is watering.
nice entry.

2:29 AM   Edit
Blogger Shah cooks said...

I love bhel..we are trying to introduce this to the firangis at work ..Will let u know how that turns out.

4:54 AM   Edit
Blogger TNL said...

I am officially drooling all over my keyboard......what a great recipe and the picture is delicious!

6:10 AM   Edit
Blogger Mandira said...

I guess after the sweets, it's savory time. I love bhel puri. Looks delicious priya.

9:15 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow..my favorite..I haven't prepared any chaats till now..Gonna give it a try..

12:17 PM   Edit
Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Priya,

Good recipe..I've always used some bhel puri mix like the Bombay Snack one or something, but never done it from the scratch.....

12:18 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great great great....i love this kind of food. I will make the bhel soon.

thanks
Dilip

12:32 PM   Edit
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

hi Priya,
My hubby always talk about this bhel puri.He likes ver much.thanks for sharing.

2:51 PM   Edit
Blogger Vani said...

I love chaat in general and bhel in particular! I use a lot of chopped cilantro though. Love the flavor. Great pic!

5:28 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Priya... this looks so colorful and crunchy! Would love a plateful now :)

8:26 PM   Edit
Blogger FH said...

Oh Priya! That looks so good!! YUM!! Major Yum!!

12:19 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

First time commenting here but I've been a regular visitor to your great blog. Bhel puri looks very tasty!

2:27 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering as I write this comment..... need I say anyhting more????..... It reminds me of being in mumbai once again..... thats for sharing priya!!!

6:55 AM   Edit
Blogger Sapna said...

Bhel is my favorite. I haven"t tried making chat till now. I will try it soon. Thanks for the receipe.

5:35 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looove bhel. Your bhel puri looks very tempting. Will try it soon..thanks

12:50 PM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmik said...

Good recipe. I also have tried the date/tamarind chutney and coriander chutney from the Indian store. I am sure homemade chutneys would taste good any day but the store bought chutneys enable you to whip up a quick bhel puri when you have visitors knocking at your door.

6:21 PM   Edit
Blogger manju bansal said...

Priya your bhel is looking tempting. Send me some.

1:57 AM   Edit
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

I love bhel puris and beleive me I had bhel puri today...

7:31 PM   Edit
Blogger SeePearrl said...

vooww..looks gud!!

7:35 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is my favorite chaats.
I never make it myself because it looks complicated to prepare all the sauces.. ;-p

Thanks a lot for the recipes, maybe someday I will givve it a try...

8:07 PM   Edit
Blogger Bhavini-Engl 301 said...

hey, you can easily make the red chutney my adding jeeru powder and salt to apple bama butter sauce and mixing it....it's really good...

9:37 AM   Edit
Blogger Bhavini-Engl 301 said...

You can also make the red chutney by adding jeeru (cumin seed) powder and salt to BAMA apple butter sauce and mixing it, it tastes really good!

9:38 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home